Monday, February 15, 2010

New York City has changed in the last 30 years. I used to live in Manhattan - oh, around the late '70s up to the mid '80s. It seems more crowded (huh, big surprise), cleaner and, actually nicer. Times Square sure is nicer and Penn Station smells better. When I lived there, E.J Korvettes was across the street from Macy's. I remember being told that 'E.J Korvettes' was short for 'Eight Jewish Korean War Veterans'. The discount store was supposedly started by eight army buddies. Idk. It seemed like a pretty clever name. I lived on Eighth Avenue and 34th Street and worked on Fifth Avenue. There was a way to travel underground from home all the way to Herald Square via subway walkways. It seemed like a good option for bad weather, since I always walked to work. But the smell in those walkways always made me sorry I tried.
Manhattan seems better now. Maybe it's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment